Monday, August 11, 2014

Jackson Pollock inspired DIY

A while ago I was googling something related to sewing dresses, so I was messing around on Google Images when I came across this picture:

Picture from here.


So I found this awesome tutorial about painting a dress, Pollock style.

Some actual Pollock for reference.
Picture from here.


I had this light blue skirt that I purchased a while back from Goodwill. I had previously taken it in about an inch so it would sit nicely on my waist, but as I generally shy away from light colors, it still felt a bit dull. So it was the perfect target to try the Pollock inspired DIY on.

I bought some black textile paint from a craft store, took a few different sizes of paint brushes and got to it. By the end of the process, I had black paint up to my elbows and also some random splashes below my knees, and the skirt hem started to look like this:



I let the paint dry overnight and then ironed it to set the paint (as instructed on the container).

Ta-dah!


I'm so happy with how the skirt turned out. And painting it was so much fun, too! I got to splash around like a kid fingerpainting. :D And now the skirt doesn't look dull anymore, so I'm guessing I'll be wearing it a lot more from now on. Hooray for DIYs!

Rocking the new look.


love, scoundrel

2 comments: