Thursday, April 21, 2016

Riverbank scenery on a dress

Hey all,
About a month ago I walked past a fabric store and saw they had Vallila's Aurajoki fabric.

Aurajoki (Aura River), is the river that flows through Turku. Which is where I live. So I had to get some.



Sadly it's not secondhand, so that makes this my second piece of fabric this year that's not secondhand (the first being the orange slices and chevrons fabric from my previous post). But well, at least Vallila is a Finnish company and from what I found online, their fabrics are printed in Turkey and their curtains, throw pillows and such are made in Finland and Estonia. So I think I can quite happily support them by buying this one piece of fabric.

So I wanted the dress to form a more-or-less continuous picture, so that's why I cut the fabric like this:



Since the fabric is thick and doesn't drape nicely naturally, I lined it fully using a blue lining fabric (bought secondhand for 2 euros).





After lining, I pleated the bottom part to match the bodice and sewed the pleats, attaching them to the bodice.



I added a zipper at the back, sewed the remaining back seam and hemmed the dress.

And done!



And here's how it looks worn:



***


So, now I have a dress to proudly show where I'm from. How neat is that? :D

love,
Satu / Sew Scoundrel


6 comments:

  1. It's really beautiful! I love dresses with a continuos picture in general and the pattern you made. It may still be a little complicated for me, but one day I'd like to try to make a dress with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like continuous prints as well, it's just hard to find nice fabric with big enough picture :D

      Delete