Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Sewing a cape with pockets - a video tutorial

Hello there,
I made my first sewing video! Yay?

It's a tutorial on how to sew this cape / coat, which is just perfect for fall!



It's made of thick, rust-colored wool blend (4€, secondhand), a dark purple lining fabric (recycled from an old project) and clasps I ripped off of an old skirt. I used about 3 meters (~3.2 yds) of wool fabric that was 120cm (47in) wide and about 1.5-2 meters (1.6-2.2 yds) of lining.

So without further ado, here are the measurements I used for my cape (both in centimeters and inches). Hope you find this helpful, and perhaps the video will clear things up a bit as well. Scroll down to watch the video, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment!

***


The front pieces are separate, but since the cape isn't form-fitting the front can be cut in one piece and then separated at the dotted line (the one with the arm slit).

All measurements in the following two pictures are in centimeters. FOR MEASUREMENTS IN INCHES SCROLL DOWN A BIT.


(Centimeter measurements end here.)


***


The following two pictures show the measurements in inches:




Naturally this isn't the same as a commercial pattern, but it should give you some insight on the measurements of the cape, and perhaps you can make your own cape with this and the video combined. (Please share your project with me if you do!) I would recommend that you know your sewing basics before attempting this, but it's not an impossibly difficult project to complete. The pattern is easy to draw on a rectangular piece of paper that's 50cm (20in) wide and as tall as you want your cape to me (mine was 85cm / 34in or so).



***


Here's the video of how I made my cape:



It's shot with my phone, so the quality isn't the best, and it's my first ever sewing video so it feels like my hands/arms are in the way half of the time because I have no idea what I'm doing, buuuuut... it's okay I guess XD

So, what do you think about this project? How about the video? :)

love,
Satu / Sew Scoundrel


4 comments:

  1. thanks for this! I have been wrecking my brain trying to sew a new fall cape with arm slits. Your video was very instrumental in my design. I changed a few things to make it more masculine, opting for a longer length, no collar, and suede fabric. I live in NYC and everyone thinks my cape is designer and costs a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This comment made me very happy, I'm so glad I've helped someone to make their own cape. :) Do you have pictures of the cape somewhere? I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  2. It's really beautiful, autumnish and fairytale-like!

    ReplyDelete