Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Video tutorial: circle skirt with geometric pockets

Hey everyone,
And Happy New Year!

Last fall I made my first video tutorial, how to sew a cape with pockets. As I discovered then, making videos is really time-consuming, and I didn't have a chance to make another video until now.

This time, I had scored about 3 meters (~3.2 yards) of light brown tweed fabric at a thrift store for 2 euros.

I decided to make it a vintage-inspired skirt with some fun pockets.



The pockets are inspired by this Pinterest pin about a 50's dress with fun pocket design. Sooooo to prepare for this project, I made pocket mock-ups... in my head, because making mock-ups with scrap fabric is for suckers--
Nah, just kidding. It would be wise to make mock-ups, but since I am lazy, I just planned it all in my head. And sometimes it works surprisingly well! :D

So, this not-planned, not-tested-out pocket design is now here for your pleasure in video form!

***




***




All in all, I think this project went surprisingly well, considering I mostly just winged it. The tips of the pockets aren't as sharp as I'd hoped (a problem I could have avoided by making the seam allowances wider at the tip of the flaps), but overall, I am very pleased.

***


The shirt I'm wearing in the photos is also one of my own creations, made from secondhand knit I found for 3 euros:



***


Let me know what you think about the video! All comments welcome! :D If there is anything that was unclear, don't hesitate to ask! :)

love,
Satu / Sew Scoundrel


2 comments: