Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Dalek Pride and a black/green dress (and a question to my readers)

Hey everyone,
So last week we celebrated Turku Pride. For the occasion, I made a black top and added a few Daleks...

Dalek Pride!


Cool, huh? I finally got around to testing an iron-on transfer paper, and I really like the result. Basically you just put the transfer paper into your (inkjet) printer, print out whatever you want to iron onto a shirt/skirt/dress/backpack/whatever, cut along the edges of the picture, remove the back cover of the paper, slap onto the shirt/whatever and iron without steam. The printed piece then sticks to the fabric and should be machine-washable in 30C, but I haven't tested it out yet. I was surprised how well the iron-on sticks to the fabric, because I'd read some reviews that said it doesn't work at all. I bought mine from Clas Ohlson.

Here I am in all my Pride glory:



Also featuring rainbow eyeshadow!



And these earrings I painted:

Aren't they the cutest?


I was celebrating Pride with my geek choir, Riverside Castle, so the slightly geeky attire was more than appropriate.

We made a banner as well:

More Daleks! Also in the picture: our lovely choirmistress.


So, Pride was a blast and I can't wait for next year's celebrations!

***


So, a while back I pinned this beautiful vintage dress on Pinterest.

So I decided I wanted to make something similar. So I set out to figure out just how that skirt part is made.

Here's what I came up with:



So then I created a pattern piece out of newspaper and cut out the pieces, with black on top and bottom and green in the middle (both fabrics are secondhand and cost me 6 euros altogether):

Repeat times 8.


Then I sewed the three pieces (top, middle and bottom) together, and sewed the ready dress pieces together at the side seams.

Then I had this:



For the top, I wanted to make something a bit different... I drew this idea on paper:



...and since it's like 35 degrees Celsius in this apartment, my brain melted and I forgot to take pictures of the top-making process. But anyways, here's the final result:







When I first had the idea of this dress, I thought of adding something to the front.

My original plan was Loki's helmet, but then I thought that Arwen's necklace from LotR would also be nice... or the symbol on the necklace on Laputa - Castle in the Sky.

Like so:

(Ignore the fact that the front piece looks nothing like the one I made - this was an early draft.)


I'd kind of want to add one of those to the front of the dress. But which one? Here's where you come in!

So, what should I add to the front of the dress?
A) Loki's helmet
B) Arwen's Evenstar necklace symbol
C) Laputa necklace symbol from Laputa - Castle in the Sky
D) something else: _________
E) nothing at all, it's best left as it is.

Also, the color of the design is still kind of in the air. Black would go well with the dress, but I have gold and silver paint and I think they'd look fab as well... So black, gold or silver? :)

Make one boob joke. I dare you. *death glare*


Please let me know what you think in the comments!

***


love,
scoundrel


9 comments:

  1. Oooh I vote Laputa! Also what a lovely dress - as usual! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Äänestän kultaista Laputaa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The daleks are really cool. I had a lot of problems washing garments I printed with iron on paper, it faded, crumbled and so on, I hope yours was better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's endured hand washing pretty well so far! :)

      Delete